Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Goodbye to the Peeler Artist

One of the best things about New York City is it's characters, and one of those was 'The Peeler Man', who passed away on Sunday. You can read his obit in the New York Times, here.

I'm sure I speak for many in the neighborhood when I say I'm going to miss walking through the Union Square Farmer's Market and hearing his familiar British busking. He brought a bit of London's East End to New York. His entertaining sales routine - which never wavered, ('why do you need 5 peelers? Because you have 4 friends!'), but never got stale; and also never failed to elicit smiles. Being set up near him, as a vendor, you couldn't help be amazed at his energy. I've heard him do his spiel hundreds of times, and never once without enthusiasm!

He also never failed to draw a crowd; an audience who stood around him, often three and four deep; totally mesmerized by his creative vegetable peeling act, photographing him like he was an NYC landmark, and who couldn't resist buying one of his $5 peelers. (I know. I bought one myself but have never been able to use it with the same artistry. The potato flowers still elude me.) The peelers themselves were probably worth about 79 cents; it was the entertainment that was gold.

Using nothing but a peeler, some carrots, and his wit, Joe Lauer, The Peeler Man, became a New York City legend. (I'm thinking there's a lesson in there somewhere.)

Peeler Man won't be forgotten anytime soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG, I remember one spring in 1989, walking across Union Square ... I never hung out around there ... and seeing an unlikely street crowd (I was and am a street performer, so I'm always drawn to a crowd) around a guy "selling kitchen gadgets." Having seen umpteen irritating "it-slices-it-dices-it-makes-julienne-fries"-style TeeVee commercials, I was all set to give him a pass. But as you describe, his energy, wit, and artistry with those damned peelers won me over in seconds.
I didn't buy one that day, but bought a similar one years later and often think of that guy, who occupied about 5 minutes of my life, 20 years ago.
Thanks for validating a long-standing memory, even if to tell me that magical man has passed on to the Food Prep Room in the sky.

The Fru-Gals said...

Not on topic, but I so love your comments on PRG....and your goal to reach your goal weight made me laugh out loud.

Suz